Sunday, October 21, 2018

200th Pecan Wood Bowl


This bowl is something of a landmark for me.  As the title says, it is the 200th pecan wood bowl.  That is actually not accurate as there was a decent period of time after I started turning that I did not catalogue the bowls and whatever that I turned.  Going by photo records that I have this in reality is the 340th pecan bowl.  All in all, I have turned not quite 1500 bowls in all woods.  But, I need to stick to the official record of catalogue numbers.  Right?  Sorta, maybe.  Anyway this bowl has all kinds of things going for it.  Wonderful natural colors, spalting, minor cracks, knotholes, and even a couple of wormholes.  Worms are gone, yes.  Looking at the large knothole on the inside you see some amazing red color.  I did not do that.  That occurred to my astonishment and approval naturally with the natural dust and clear glue I use.  How it happened I don’t know but I do love it.  The other knotholes and the one worm hole on the inside were filled in the same way.  The bowl does hold liquids just fine with a capacity of ¾ gallon.  Some of the minor cracks on the outside I left looking that way but I did reinforce them to make sure they went nowhere.   You even have a lip for easy holding.  The bowl measures 10 ¾” on the outside and has an inside diameter of 9”.  The height is 4” with a depth of 3”.  In case you need to know the bowl weighs just a hair over 2 pounds.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil then finished with several coats of a walnut oil/shellac mixture.  This combination gives the bowl a nice hard natural finish.  21Oct18  BLP200








2 comments:

  1. First of all Dave, congratulations on your 200th Pecan bowl and your 1500th bowl, well done. Secondly, fantastic, just love it, rustic, the colouration, grain pattern, the shape all add up to a very, very beautiful bowl. The colour red could, but not sure, could be caused by a very small piece of metal in the wood which might have gone rusty. Sounds daft I know but I myself have found pieces of metal in the wood I have been turning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! What you say about the metal is possible. I was turning an elm bowl a few years ago and found a bullet in it. Left it and it sold quickly. Never know what you will find in a tree. Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...