Sunday, November 25, 2018

Eye Pleasing 5 Sided White Oak Bowl


I think most folks will agree that this smallish sized bowl is definitely easy on the eyes.  The natural color of white oak is rather amazing in it’s own right.  The grain patterns along with a couple of really small knot holes add so much to this bowl besides the fact that it is 5 sided.  This wood can be extremely unforgiving while working with it, yet it does polish up nicely.   The wood that this bowl came from was a burl, so that made it doubly harder to work with.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mix.  This combination gives the bowl a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  The base has a small footprint which a lot of folks really like.  The general diameter is 8” with a height of 2 ¾” and depth of 2”.  The volume measured at 3 cups.  Great bowl for nuts or even candy.  Some might use it as a catch all bowl for keys and change and such.  25Nov18  BLWO16









2 comments:

  1. Dave I have noticed you are doing a lot of technical turning ( my description of these type of shaped bowls ) which I just like. I admire your determination in doing this type of turning, as you know they can be a bit difficult at times. Turning anything from burls can be hard and you have done a great job, well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Les! Yeah, this kind of turning can definitely be challenging. More are coming! For whatever reason I just got in the mood for doing some of them and started doing them. I have done some in the past and I have no idea why I stopped.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...