Monday, November 19, 2018

Fat Pecan Wood Jar


OK.  I know I called it a fat jar, and that may not be exactly right.  But, it is fatter in the middle than it is the base so maybe I can get away with it this time.  I promise not to call another jar fat.  Maybe.  Anyway if nothing else it is beautiful as it was turned from pecan wood.  While turning the lid I uncovered an interesting looking flaw and decided to keep it.  Adds a lot to the character of the jar I think.  I normally do a bit bulkier knob on the lid but I a good friend of mine in England keeps telling me I need to do skinnier knobs.  So, here one is.   The wood was sealed using food grade walnut oil.  The inside was finished using a walnut oil based wax taking two coats.  The outside was finished using a walnut oil/shellac mixture.  All of these give the jar a nice natural long lasting finish.  The outside diameter is 5” and the inside is 4”.  The total height is 6 ¼” with a vessel height of 4 ¾” and vessel depth of 4”.  The volume measured to be 2 ½ cups.  That’s a fair amount of pistachios.  Then again you might fill it with almonds, or even M&M’s.  Gotta get them in the write up, ya know?  19Nov18  BXP94











2 comments:

  1. Love this bulbous( fat ) jar. The shape is very nice and the lid fits perfectly to the jar, emphasizing the jars shape. Nice colour on this turning and the inside looks nice and without any tear marks. The lid as a small flaw and I agree with you Dave it does add character. Yes I do like the skinnier knob it does in this case suit the lid. Well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, Les! I know, I know. Skinnier knobs. I guess my problem with skinny knobs is my big fat hands. Extra large gloves are really tight. But, I am gonna work on that. Skinnier knobs for now on!!! Glad you like it. Pecan wood really is a good looking wood.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...