Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Gorgeous Pecan Wood Crotch Bowl


Gorgeous?  Yes.  Rustic in appearance?  Of course!  Folks who get this type of bowl are doing so because of the unusual appearance of them.  I was even successful in remembering to get a couple of photos of the wood before I started turning it to give you a perspective of the project.  I admit this type of turning can make you kinda pucker sometimes while spinning the wood.  With the unusual shape, you get a sound that reminds you of a propeller.  And, sometimes these come off the lathe and make you duck!  This wood is absolutely beautiful.  It is pecan after all.  The added spalting, natural edge and tiny knotholes really make it stand out.  The widest point of the bowl is 14” and the narrowest is about 1 ½”.  The height is 2 ¼”.  The bowl diameter is 8 ½” and the depth is 1 ½”.  I went on and measured the volume even though this kind of bowl is used more for displaying fruits and nuts and such.  That came to 4 cups.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mixture.  This combination gives the bowl a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  16Jan19  BLP210











2 comments:

  1. Just looking at this bowl reminds me when I first turned a chunk of wood with a similar shape to yours, did not go done very well, moved my lathe a couple of inches. Needless to say I was very careful after that. Getting back to your lovely turning, I got to say very well done, it is a lovely turned bowl. Love the colour and grain pattern in this bowl, which you get buy turned crotch pieces of timber. I like this type of photo`s it gives people especially none woodturners what the process from wood blank to finished item is like. Well done my friend, I very nice turning and thanks for the memories it gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your'e welcome my friend! And, thanks for the compliments. I did slightly cheat a bit, I suppose. I ran it through the thickness planer so I could get an accurate weight center on it before I mounted it on the lathe. Thought I'd get smart for a change. Saved me some grief I am sure. Be good, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...