Saturday, April 6, 2019

Touch of Coral White Oak Jar


White Oak presents opportunities for adding color to it such as red coral or turquoise.  Also to be considered is powdered copper or brass.  I added a bit of red coral to the lid on this jar.  I did not want to be overbearing with it so there is just a little bit of it added to some of the cracks on the lid.  There is also a trace of it in one spot on the inside.  This wood also displays it’s own great coloring that comes naturally as well as magnificent grain patterns.  Fantastic piece for keeping candies, nuts, and other fine things.  Not all of those fine things have to be edible, yet keep in mind it does hold 2 cups worth.  The diameter of the jar is 5 ½” with a total height of 4”.  The vessel height is 2 ½” and the depth is about 2”.  When you look at the knob on the lid you might be puzzled, so let me solve the puzzlement.  Yes, there is a small amount missing.  I started to go ahead and turn another lid until I looked at it again.  I decided I liked it like it was, so there you go.  Mystery solved!!!  Simple lines yet elegant and rustic in appearance.  3Apr19  BXWO4

P.S.  I have been since told that I did not put enough coral in the lid.  ??











2 comments:

  1. This is similar to your previous jar which I liked and I also like this one as well. Beautiful colour and pattern to this jar. The lid sits nicely on the jars rim. The bottom of the base is also nicely finished. I have many times seen a lovely bowl etc with a badly finished bottom. Another well turned and finished bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! Yeah, a nice bottom of any vessel is as important as the rest of it. Glad you like this one. Take care, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...