Monday, May 13, 2019

Gracious Cedar Elm Pedestal Bowl


This is the first piece of cedar elm that I have turned in quite some time.  A lot of folks say they have never heard of the wood, but it is quite prevalent in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and a few other states.  It is also known as Texas Elm.  This bowl has some natural defects in it that I felt needed to stay for rustic appearance.  You will find some cracks that I reinforced with clear glue and natural dust and some blemishes in the wood.  The bowl does hold liquids to the amount of 3 cups.  The diameter is 6 ¾” with a height of 3” and a depth of 2 inches.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mixture.  This gives the bowl a nice hard natural finish that you may use with confidence.    13May19  BLCE6









2 comments:

  1. I love the shape, nice and simple shape also the base compliments the bowl. The base mimics the bowls shape but upside down. If you know what I mean. Nicely turned and finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Les! I thought you might like this one. As you say, simple. Simple usually sells over fancy in my experience.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...