Thursday, May 23, 2019

Remarkable Cedar Elm Serving Bowl


There are many out there who have never heard of cedar elm.  It’s also known as Texas Elm and Texas Cedar Elm.  It’s called cedar elm because it is commonly found growing around juniper (also known as cedar).  So, you have cedar and elm, therefore cedar elm!  How about that?  Sorry.  I couldn’t help myself there.  Anyway it is a remarkably nice looking wood with subtle yet grand looking grain patterns.  This bowl is no exception.   I created an interesting lip for handling ease midway up the side.  You will find some small imperfections in the wood which I usually choose to leave to give a more handmade rustic appeal.  The bowl is about 8 ½” in diameter, 2 ¾” high and has a depth of 1 ¾”.  The volume measures to 4 cups.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mixture.  This gives the bowl a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  Care instructions included with purchase.  BLCE8  23May19








2 comments:

  1. Interesting shape but again it is a simple but elegant bowl. Yes I can see the lip around the bowls middle will certainly help in carrying, especially if you have trouble in gripping items. Lovely wood is Cedar. Nicely turned Dave, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! I do like this wood. Wish I could get my hands on more of it. Hard stuff to get. Glad you liked the bowl, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...