Sunday, June 11, 2017

Big Fat Pecan Cookie Jar


This amazing cookie jar turned from pecan is certainly big and it is fat!  Now I am not saying that you have to put only cookies in this magnificent jar, but just think of this:  it holds almost two regular packages of Oreo Cookies or for measuring purposes ¾ gallon of water.  Just imagine how many M&M’s it would take to fill this jar!?!  I have no idea.  Here are some of the things I do know about it.  It’s outside diameter is 10 ¼” with an inside lip diameter of 7”.  The total height of the jar is 5 ¾” and the vessel depth is 3 ½”.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a mix of walnut oil and shellac heavy on the shellac for more sheen.  This combo gives the jar a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  I burned some lines on the inside and top side of the lid for decorative purposes.  On the inside of the lid there is a long worm hole that I worked hard to keep in place.  It does not effect the structural integrity of the lid at all.  Just makes it more interesting looking.  With the natural color of the wood and all the spalting, this is a extremely nice rustic looking piece.  Momma Nature even through in a few worm holes for you.  One of a kind, without a doubt.  11Jun17  BXP80 For more info see:








2 comments:

  1. Nice size jar, beautiful colouration, and spalting make this a lovely turned item. The shape is nice and I like how you have sunk the lid into the jar which to me makes it look as if it is copying the jars outer shape. To carry on that idea I think the handle on the lid could have been turned into a domed knob, but that is my thinking. Excellent turned jar. Well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Les! I actually thought about a knob on the lid and for whatever reason that's as far as that thought got. Who knows? I will however think harder on that for the next one. It is a good idea you have. Glad you like the jar overall and that means a lot. Thanks, Les!!!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...