Monday, July 10, 2017

Elegant Pecan Herb Box


Storyline:  I have a pile of medium to small diameter logs that has been accumulating over a decent period of time.  The bark has come off of most of them so sometimes I am not always sure just what kind of wood it is.  This great looking rustic herb box came from that pile.  When I first started turning it I thought it was Red Oak.  Then as I went along with it I decided it probably was pecan.  Now I am using the word probably because I cannot say without a shadow of a doubt that it is pecan but it does look like it.  So, for titling purposes it will be called pecan.  Next thing is no you cannot have the basil I used for the photos.  You gotta get your own.  When dealing with older wood like this there will be flaws in it that just won’t come out but that is Mamma Nature at her best to me.  The diameter is 5 ½” with a total height of 4 ¼”.  The vessel height is 2” and depth is 1 ½”.  The volume measured at 1 cup.  Not bad at all.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mix that was heavy on the shellac.  Using this combination gives the box a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  10Jul17  BXP17  For more info see:








2 comments:

  1. This herb box is very nice, has a lovely shape and colour. I love the lid. With its small size you could have several of these in your kitchen holding herbs you use the most. The two burnt bands around the boxes top really finishes the box off. I like it my friend, nicely turned and a very useful item to have. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Les! After I read your comments about it I realized I didn't mention the lines. Oh, well. You caught them, though. Glad you like it. I'm trying to use up some of those "mystery logs" before the bugs and ants get them. It's actually a sizable pile. Probably about 4 front loader buckets full. Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...