Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Yummy Little Red Oak Bowl


Alright, I might have gotten a little carried away calling it a yummy little red oak bowl but that’s okay.  It is smallish in size and what you might put in it could very well be yummy.  After all it does hold 2 ¼ cups measured up to the brim.  This bowl will not hold liquids as I did not fill and seal off all of the old bug holes in it.  So, it is great for nuts, small fruits, candies and even potpourri.  I did some decorative lines and such on the bottom and outside.  The diameter is 8 ¼” with a height of 1 ¾” and a depth of 1”.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and the finished with a walnut oil/shellac mix.  This combination gives the bowl a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  There are some small natural flaws in the wood which I left for a rustic appeal.  12Jul17  BLRO67  If you want more info see:









2 comments:

  1. Third picture down, WOW, just look at the beautiful colour and grain patterns on this bowl, truly outstanding. This bowl is certainly a thing of beauty. I like how you have burnt the lines into the sides of this bowl and to be honest I have not seen this done before. They are usually done around the top or on the base of bowls. Once again my friend a truly outstanding piece of turning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! Glad you like it! Cute little thing, ain't it? I like doing lines but seeing not all customers like them, I have to watch myself and not get too carried away with them. I was really lucky with this wood. Mamma Nature was real good to it. Take care, my friend! Can't wait to see what you show me next!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...