Thursday, August 10, 2017

Awesome Red Oak Candy/Nut Jar


I gotta say from the start that when I started turning this jar, it was intended to be bigger.  As I turned I found a crack that was hidden and kept going until it was a fine and fairly shallow crack that was easily filled with clear glue and natural red oak dust.  The big knot that you see on the bottom of the vessel area was a bit difficult to deal with.  I was unable to hollow out the vessel as much as I normally do because I did not want to take the chance of the knot disintegrating and causing massive problems and ruining the piece.  So on the inside of the vessel there is a bit more wood on the sides than I normally leave.  This wood does have a couple of spots that have burring that would not sand out.  Just adds rustic flavor to the piece.  The outside diameter is 5” with an inside lip diameter of 3 ½”.  The total height is 6” and the vessel depth is 2 ¾”.  The volume measures at 2 cups.  Of course this was not designed with holding liquids in mind.  With the natural coloration of red oak this piece is something that would look really great sitting on your desk or table full of goodies.  The wood was first sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mix.  This combo gives the jar a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  10Aug17  BXRO24 For more info see: 











2 comments:

  1. Now this is what I call a pedestal bowl/jar. Lovely rounded shape to the body, tapering down towards the base. The base sturdy enough to give stability and to top it off (pun intended) and very nice looking lid. Plus with the added rustic, thanks to nature and your careful turning my friend. A very beautiful jar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Les! I had a feeling you would like this one. I wanted the knob on the lid to be a bit more rounder but didn't work out that way. Yeah, it's hard to beat Mamma Nature at her finest. And she did mighty fine with this piece of wood. Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...