Monday, August 14, 2017

Decorative Spanish Oak Salt/Spice Box


I was going to a potbellied stove shape while turning this nice spice box but did not quite get there.  The way it did turn out I believe is quite good looking.  With some decorative lines burned in on both the body and lid, how can you go wrong?  For most household cooks and even professional chefs this box is perfect in size as it holds right at ½ cup in volume.  Doesn’t sound like much but trust me it is.  Plus when you add the beautiful natural color of this wood it is hard to turn down.  Some may also know this wood probably by it’s more common name red oak.  All the same wood.  The outside diameter is 3 ¼” with an inside lip diameter of 2”.  The total height is 4” with a vessel height of 2 ¾” and a vessel depth of 2”.  The wood was sealed and finished with a walnut oil based friction polish.  Nothing wrong with a long lasting hard natural finish.  14Aug17  BXRO25   For more info see:













2 comments:

  1. Yes the shape is nice and the lid looks nice too. The black burnt in lines do add to the boxes good looks. Is red oak the same as our oak over here if it is its a tough wood to turn and can leave a slight rust on your turning tools unless you wipe them down. Be interested to know. A beautiful turning as always my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! Thanks for liking this box. I did a little research and apparently Northern Red Oak here is the same as you have. I don't find it too hard to turn but it will leave rust like you said. I try to remember to wipe all of my gouges down but usually end up having to go to more cleaning lengths. I get busy and forget to do that a lot of times. Take care my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...