Sunday, November 12, 2017

10" Pecan Mortar and Pestle Set

The rather large mortar & pestle set was turned as a custom order.  A lot larger than I normally turn, that's for sure.  It is going to be used commercially for making hummus.  The mortar is 10" in diameter, 6" high, and 5" deep.  The volume is one gallon.  The pestle is 9 1/2" long and 1 1/4" diameter.  I burned the lines in the handle area for decoration and better gripping.  After doing this one I believe I will do a couple more for public consumption, you might say.  Anyway, the wood was sealed with food grad walnut oil and then received two more coats.  It was sanded to 600 grit spinning at 1000 rpm's.  After that I buffed it with pecan shavings spinning at the same speed.  Gives it a nice look.  There was a couple of minor cracks in the lip that I filled with clear glue and pecan dust.









2 comments:

  1. This is a nicely turned mortar and pestle, but I have never been a fan of these utensils, but that's just me. Forget about the pestle the mortar would make a very lovely bowl in its own right. This piece of Pecan has a beautiful colouration. I can see the others you are going to turn, selling very well. Well done a nice piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you are right. The mortar is nice in it's own rights. But, I do sell a lot of normal sized sets so I keep them stocked. But, that's more like 5" diameter stuff. It was actually rather hard turning this mortar as it is 5" deep with such a narrow work area for something this deep. Normally bowls of that size I turn at around 12-14" in diameter. Oh, well. Got it done. Take care,my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...