Sunday, November 26, 2017

9 3/4" Covered Cottonwood Serving Bowl


Cottonwood is a beautiful wood that makes some of the most gorgeous bowls and such that you have ever seen.  This covered bowl is no exception.  This has so many different uses there is no way I can come close to listing them all here.  But to name a few some might use it as a centerpiece for nuts and candies or other tasty morsels.  Some might use it for tortillas.  Others might use it to keep their treasures in.  It will look really good no matter what use you put it to.  Measured to the brim the bowl part holds 4 cups of liquid.  The outside diameter is 9 ¾” with a total height of 4 ½”.  The vessel height is 3” and depth is 2”.  The lid has about 1/8” play in it to accommodate any wood swelling that might occur.  The wood was sealed with two coats of food grade walnut oil.  The wood soaked up the first coat so fast I decided it needed a second one.  The piece was finished using a walnut oil based wax.  With a combination like this the bowl has a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  26Nov17  SDCW7  For more info see:











2 comments:

  1. Yes I totally agree Cottonwood is certainly a lovely wood. I do like this covered bowl. The two colours are beautiful and I am pleased you allowed some play in the lid, for possible swelling. Its surprising how many lidded containers I have seen in which the lid does not fit properly. Nice bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening! Cottonwood is quite versatile, but it being such a soft wood one has to be careful with warping. You may have it really nice and dry and when it rains it might pick up some moisture and do funny things. I think I left about 1/8" play for the lid on this one. I've seen what you are talking about on other lids. I spend more time usually on the lid than I do the other part just for that reason.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...