Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Serious Pecan Craft Mallet


This is one serious mallet turned from pecan wood for one someone into woodworking or other crafts that require a mallet.  I use mallets like this in my shop and I even pound steel drive centers into wood with them without any damage to the mallet.  With pecan being such a durable wood this mallet should last a lifetime.  I did burn 3 lines into the handle for decorative purposes that seem to add to the attractiveness of this piece.  The wood was sealed with two coats of walnut oil to add to the durability of the mallet.  The total length is 9 ¼” with a handle length of about 6 ¼”.  The head is 3” long and the diameter of the head is 3 ¼”.  The handle diameter is 1 ¼” and the mallet weighs 1 ½ pounds.  The diameter of the handle was meant for a fairly large hand.  31Jan18  MP4   For more info see:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/590546191/serious-pecan-craft-mallet






2 comments:

  1. This must be a hardish wood if you can tap drive centres in with it. A wood carver would like this I am certain. Once again nicely turned as I would expect from you Dave. A lovely item with quite a few possible outlets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! Yeah, pecan is pretty hard stuff. Some turners I know call it "pecancrete". I have 3 different mallets in the shop turned from pecan and one from bodark. Besides being beautiful, pecan is tough stuff, too. I don't expect this one to stay around very long. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...