Monday, July 2, 2018

Canister Style Pecan Spice Box


Nothing like looking at something turned from pecan wood to make you feel warm and fuzzy, is there?  Nope.  This wonderful looking spice box is no exception.  Of course you might also want to keep herbs, teas, and even a small stash of M&M’s in it!  Some folks might want to keep some spare change in it as well.  So many uses there is no way to list them all.  Shaped like a standard canister with straight walls, and a flat interior bottom it holds a nice ¾ cup in volume.  The diameter is 3 ½” with a total height of 3 ¾”.  The vessel height is 2 ¼” and the vessel depth is 1 ¾”.  The wood was first sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mixture.  With this combination the box has a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  The knob on the lid has an unusual gnarling in it that was actually unintentional but I decided it looked cool and left it.  2Jul18  BXP89   For more info see:









2 comments:

  1. I used to turn items like this but I used to call them trinket boxes. I enjoyed turning them and I bet you do to. I like this box very much, it reminds me of when I used to turn. Lovely colour and the shape is very nice. I like the lid with the patterned button on top. A couple of ideas for you my friend turn the lid in different shapes with different types of wood. So the base wood is different to the lid. Even turning the lid with three or four different kinds of wood glued together. Well done Dave I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! Segmented lids? Never thought of that. Interesting idea. Certainly something to try. I do have some oaks (red & white) to try that with. Thanks for the idea and don't be surprised to see something like that very soon! Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...