Saturday, July 14, 2018

Elegant Cottonwood Trinket Bowl


Elegant?  I think the shape of this smallish bowl is certainly elegant.  Nice simple smooth lines turned from a nice looking wood.  How can you go wrong with that?  Now I called it a trinket bowl, but you may certainly use it for nuts, candies or anything else you might want.  After all the wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a couple of coats of a walnut oil based wax.  Using a combination such as this gives the bowl a nice long lasting natural finish.  The bowl is 8” long, 5 ¾” wide, 2 ¾” high, 1 ½” deep.  It has a measured capacity of 1 ½ cups up to the lower brim of the bowl.  14Jul18  BLCW95  For more info see:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/628613867/elegant-cottonwood-trinket-bowl










2 comments:

  1. Elegant, absolutely. Simple smooth lines, absolutely. Lovely looking wood, absolutely. I really like this Dave also I like the way you have finished the sides of this bowl. Correct me if I am wrong but did you turn it round like an ordinary bowl then band saw off the opposite sides of the bowl. Very nice looking bowl, Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy Les! Actually, I did use the band saw but that was to form a rectangular block of wood to start with. Then marked the center and then used a chuck worm screw to start it off. I tried cutting a round bowl the way you talked about and ended up with a mess on my hands. I am glad you liked it. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...