Sunday, September 2, 2018

Amazing Pecan Wood Natural Edge Bowl


I think amazing is a good word to describe this smallish natural edge bowl.  Turned from pecan, the chances are really good that the bark will stay in place.  Also, this wood is quite nice looking!  When you look at the color and grain pattern you realize that it is hard to beat.  This piece is great for holding candy, nuts and other tasty little treats.  OK.  Yeah.  You might also use it as a catch all bowl for keys and change.  Makes no difference what you use it for it’s gonna look good doing it.  The bowl does hold about 2 cups volume.  The highest point is 3 ¾” and has a depth of 2” measured from the lowest point.  The diameter is 6”.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with spray shellac.  This was used in an effort to keep the bark in place as well as reinforcing it with clear glue.  Enjoy this one of a kind piece!  2Sep18  NEP37









3 comments:

  1. This truly is one of a kind, if you tried forever and a day you would never get another the same. Love this type of turning because they are harder to turn than ordinary shaped bowls. The small size adds to the difficulty. The rounded lip to the base finishes this unique bowl off nicely. Once again my friend you have excelled yourself. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you like it, Les! Some of that bark may still have slight amounts of my knuckle skin on it. Not sure. hehe Somewhere on that bowl it did. Hope all is going well with you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fine my friend, been doing what I love,out with my cameras. Some interesting places will be going on my blog site in the coming weeks and months. You take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...