Monday, October 29, 2018

Spalted 8 Sided Pecan Wood Bowl


You just gotta love a bowl like this!  Eight sides, four of them at 4 ¼” and three at 3”.  Add all of the spalting and natural colors that pecan wood has a really nice habit of displaying, you end up with a spectacular bowl!  The top of the bowl is beveled outward and you have a lip on the underside for ease in handling.  Though this bowl does hold liquids I had more in mind for it being used for nuts and fruits and other tasty treats.  Sit this bowl on your table and folks are gonna ask about it.  The width is 8 ½” with a height of 3”.  The depth is a bit over 2” and the volume measured to the brim comes to 4 cups.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mixture.  This combination gives the bowl a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  29Oct18  BLP201









2 comments:

  1. This is lovely, I love complex shapes, really makes them go wow when people see them. The spalting, colouration and grain structure of Pecan is absolutely beautiful. A very nicely turned and finished bowl, well done Dave. Dave did you bandsaw the sides first or after turning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! Instead of the bandsaw, I used the tables saw first to square the bowl, then used the thickness planer to give me good flat surfaces. Then found the center for faceplate mounting later. I used the table saw again to get my angle cuts. I trust getting accurate cuts with the table saw more than I do my bandsaw. Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...