Monday, December 17, 2018

4 Footed Pecan Natural Edge Bowl


Now if this isn’t a rustic gem, I don’t know what is!  Lookie here!  You have natural edge with bark, worm holes, knot holes, spalting.  Did I leave anything out?  The luscious natural colors of this pecan wood are simply fabulous.  The bowl part is only 1 ½” deep on the lowest side.  I thought about trying to get a bit deeper, but with the worm holes I was afraid I might accidentally go through the bottom.  The base is 9” square and the piece has a total height of 4 ¼”.  I didn’t measure the volume of the bowl but I would estimate it to be around 2 cups to the lowest brim area.  The bark received a helping hand to stay intact with some clear glue on the inside of the bowl and out.  The wood was not only sealed but basically saturated with food grade walnut oil.  Then it was finished with walnut oil and shellac mixture with some walnut oil based wax added.  Using a combination like this gives the piece a nice hard natural long lasting finish.  Certainly a one of a kind piece.  17Dec18  NEP39 
 











2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, and quite simply superb. Love the shape and rustic I really love. This bowl is unique without a shadow of doubt. A sure fire winner Extremely well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, my friend. Hope you are gonna have a Merry Christmas! It's supposed to be a bit rainy here but that's alright. Glad you like this piece. It was interesting to turn.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...