Wednesday, March 13, 2019

8 1/4" White Oak Dessert Stand


This is the first stand I have turned from white oak.  It brought back old lessons learned.  Be prepared for a fight if you let the white oak get really dry before turning.  Which is exactly what I did.  All of my white oak is really dry, therefore rather on the cantankerous side for turning.  This stand shows some of the typically natural defects in this wood.  You will see cracks and knot holes throughout.  But there is no worry with those.  They add to the rustic appeal of the stand.  Any cracks that were going to possibly cause any problems in the next several years were reinforced with clear glue and natural dust.  The knot holes I left alone.  The diameter on the top is 8 ¼” with a base diameter of 3 ½”, just right for stability.  The height of the stand is 3 ¼”.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mix.  This combination gives the stand a nice hard long lasting finish.  13Mar19  SDWO2







2 comments:

  1. The other week I was visiting relatives and my aunt was decorating a cake on a plastic stand. There is no comparison on which I would prefer to use and that my friend would be yours. Wood has a lovely feel to it where as plastic is well ughh. This stand is really good looking and as been excellently turned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate it, Les. Yeah, plastic. AARRGGGGG!!!! Why does anyone use plastic??? I hate the stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...