Thursday, June 27, 2019

5 3/4" Osage Orange Pedestal Bowl


Oh, Osage Orange!  Some know it as Bodark, Bois d’ Arc, Hedge Apple, or even Horse Apple.  All the same tree, folks!  And it is an extremely hard wood.  As far as in the United States there is one other wood that is supposedly harder.  I think it was called Black Locust.  Anyway, the grain patterns in this wood are really nice.  As normal this wood has some minor cracks which I reinforced with clear glue.  Should never cause a problem.  This wood gives off a natural rustic appeal that is hard to pass up.  The diameter is 5 ¾” with a height of 2 ¾” and depth at 2”.  The volume measured at 1 ½ cups.  I really thought it would be 2 cups but did not make it.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then the finishing was done with a walnut oil/shellac mixture.  This gives the bowl a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  BLBA98  26Jun19 


2 comments:

  1. Just love the colour of Bodark, the grain structure in this bowl is very nice, due to how it was turned it swirls one way on the sides and the other way on the base, unless of course my eyes deceive me. Take a look at picture BLBA98A. I like this bowl very much, another beautifully turned and finished bowl. Well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! No, your eyes ain't playing tricks with ya. It does look that way. Just another wonder of wood. I ended up deciding to give this to my nephew for this birthday tomorrow. He ought to be a happy camper. Be good, or be good at it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...