Sunday, July 14, 2019

Colorful Layered Wood Bowl


This is a first for me.  A layered wood bowl.  Others turners have done them, so I decided to give it a whirl.  From top to bottom, here are the woods used: pecan, hard plywood, white oak, cedar elm, hard plywood, and then pecan.  There was some pucker time while turning this as I did not really know just how long to keep the pieces clamped together after gluing them.  So, not being 100% confident that I had waited long enough, there were times I was wondering if it would come apart.  Well, how about that!  It didn’t!  The diameter of the bowl is 10 ¼” with a height of 4” and a depth of 3”.  The volume measured at about 2/3 of a gallon.  I gave the bowl a couple of good coats of food grade walnut oil and then a coat of walnut oil based wax.  There were some natural defects in the wood and I wanted to seal them up really good.  After that was done I finished the bowl with a couple of coats of a walnut oil/shellac mixture which gives the bowl a nice hard natural long lasting finish.    Even though there is some plywood in this bowl it is alright to use it for whatever purposes you wish.  14Jul19  BLLW1










No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...