Thursday, July 11, 2019

Exceptionally Colored Cedar Elm Bowl


Funny how things work out sometimes.  This bowl was originally planned to be a rather large natural edge bowl.  When I started turning it, the bark all flew off so fast that plan went out the window.  Then I thought an oval shaped bowl would be nice, but there were some surface cracks that I had to get past.  So, here is what we ended up with.  A extremely nice looking, simple lined cedar elm bowl.  The colors make it exceptional looking.  You might want to not put anything in it and just look at it and smile.  It does give off sorta a warm and fuzzy feeling.  The diameter is 9 ½” with a height of 3” and a depth of 2 ¼”.  The volume measured out to 6 cups.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mixture.  Using this combination gives the bowl a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  Great sized for all kinds of uses.  11Jul19  BLCE12









2 comments:

  1. I really like the coloured pattern on this bowl, really stands out and says Hey look at me. A medium sized bowl with a nice shape to the sides of the bowl and a nice cleanly finished base. The lip to the top of the bowl is also nicely done. Another excellently turned and finished bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my friend. I was lucky with the colors on this one. Hope you are doing well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...