Wednesday, June 7, 2017

3 Corner Mountain Cedar Bowl


Admittedly when I am turning a piece like this with all the natural gaps in the wood (sunken stomas), I am not always sure if it is going to work out.  Some of this type of bowl from a wood like mountain cedar will come apart on you.  Luckily this one held together.  I purposely left the sides a bit thicker for structural integrity so it would stay together.  The general diameter of the bowl is 8” with a height of 4 ½” and a general depth of about 2”.  I measured the volume with M&M’s and it held 1 ½ cups of them before they started rolling out through the stomas in the wood.  Larger nuts and other items might fair better and give you more of a capacity.  Some might use it as a catch all bowl for change and keys and others will use it for nice smelling potpourri.  The wood was first sealed with a couple of coats of walnut oil and then had straight shellac rubbed into it and then buffed.  This combination gives the bowl a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  For more info on this bowl:







2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome Dave, a very tricky piece to turn. You could knock off the corners or the piece could just fall apart, so my friend you did an excellent job of turning this item. I would personally use this as a decorative piece of art. Extremely well done, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy Les! Yeah, while turning this one there was some puckering on my part wondering if it was gonna hold together. Luckily it did. I think most folks are like you and will use it for a decorative piece. Thanks for the comments, my friend! I love your photography work but do miss your turnings as well. But, I understand fully. Be good my friend, Dave

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...