Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Fabulous Live Oak Cookie Jar


In my opinion, anything turned from Live Oak just shouts the word rustic.  When you look at this wonderful cookie jar I think you will agree.  As you consider the natural colors it has as well as the typical stress cracking you end up with a great looking jar.  Now I am not going to tell you that you can only put cookies in this.  You may put anything you want in it except something liquid.  I did not seal all of the cracks on purpose to keep the rustic effect.  After all it was not intended but for dry items, like the Pecan Sandies pictured.  This jar held an entire 12 oz. package of them with some room to spare.  Also the volume measured at about ½ gallon.  That ain’t bad no matter where you are from!  The outer diameter is 8” and the inside lip measures at 4 ¼”.  The total height is 6 ½” and the vessel height is 4 ½”.   The depth of the vessel is 4”.  All of the wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and the outside was finished with a mixture of walnut oil and shellac.  The inside received a second coat of walnut oil only.  Using these natural components gives the jar a nice long lasting finish.  Certainly one of a kind so don’t pass this up.  17Jul17  BXO2 For more info see:











4 comments:

  1. Lovely round shape which is nicely turned and the lid, well what can I say, just fantastic. I just like how you have done it. It reminds me of a lid on top of a lid, if you know what I mean. A very nice colour which Oak always has and rustic too, what more do you want, lovely. Now the base and I just love to see bases decorated, usually they are just left concave. But here my friend you have done a lovely job with this base. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, my friend! Glad you like it. Yes, it does look a bit like two lids, doesn't it. I didn't think of it until you mentioned it. Glad you liked the base. I wanted to experiment and see what folks thought of it. It's different and decorative. And, I did share the cookies that were in it with all that were around. Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding bases on turned items. I remember some years ago and it was while I was turning myself, I went to a woodturning show, where there was not only demonstrations but there were people selling their turnings and I noticed people who where looking at the items for sale where picking them up to look at the bases. So to me if a base is decorated it will ( I think so ) have a better chance of being bought. I realize plain concave bases leave room to put your name, date, wood type etc, but I think the data can still be incorporated in a decorated base provided enough thought goes into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right on that one, Les. An old habit we can get in is leaving a tenon, though finely sanded for signatures and so on. I used to do that a lot and am breaking that habit. I figger in time decorative bases will be more the habit that concave, flat, or tenon. Hopefully, that is. But, yeah. Your point is well taken. Be good.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...