Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Luscious Pecan Candy/Nut Jar


Now if you had this jar sitting on your desk, with the lid on of course, folks are gonna want to know what’s in it.  Natural human curiosity.  Right?  Don’t tell them; make ‘em be sneaky!  You might even torture them by taking the lid off and showing them your personal stash of M&M’s or pistachios.  Dare them!  Then put the lid back on.  Pure torture.  This great looking jar turned from pecan will hold about 1 cup of your favorite stuff.  There were some minor cracks in the wood that I filled with pecan dust and then sealed with clear glue.  You will find some rings I burned on the base and the lid for decorative purposes only. The diameter of the jar is 4 ½” with a total height of 4 ¼”.  You will find the vessel height to be 2 ¾” with a depth of 1 ¾”.  The wood was sealed and finished with a walnut oil based friction polish.  Now if you so desired you might also used this jar for holding other things such as herbs, spices, salts, and even teas.  Go for it!  19Jul17  BXP82 For more info see:












2 comments:

  1. Nice shape and a very nice lid to go with it. I don't know if all Pecan wood is light in colour but I do like the subdued colouration. Those burnt lines for decoration purposes certainly adds interest and infact enhances its beauty. Another beautiful turned item. You certainly like your sweeties my friend just like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! With pecan you never know about the color until it is done. I have turned some that was light until it got oiled for sealing and all kinds of color come out. It does seem that the branch wood tends to be lighter in color than the trunk wood. Well, as far as the sweets I do like them but really try not to indulge very often. I keep a jar of the M&M's in the fridge in the shop just for photos. Have to keep them there or with this Texas summer heat they will melt down to a glob I found out. Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...