Thursday, October 5, 2017

Osage Orange Bowl


Now and then I find myself stumbling around In the shop because pieces of wood decide to jump out under my feet!  I just know they aren’t there because I left them there.  Uhuh  That is where this piece of osage orange, or bodark came from.  I was doing some cleanup and there it was right under my foot screaming “Turn me, turn me”!  So I did.  Now as I have said in the past this is a very dense wood and can really be difficult to work with.  This piece having already dried out was even more so.  But if you are someone who is into rustic  and rugged this bowl is for you.  It has some natural edge that is blackened from a lightning strike which was the cause of this tree’s demise.  There is some of the usual cracking that occurs with this wood so don’t worry about those.  This wood will turn darker to more a burnt orange color in time by a natural oxidation process.  The diameter is 8” with a 2 ½” height and a depth of 2”.  The volume measured out at 4 cups.  It did actually hold water.  The wood was sealed with food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mixture.  This combination gives the bowl a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  3Oct17  BLBA94  For more info see:








2 comments:

  1. I love this bowl not only for its rustic charm and for its natural edge plus its beautiful colouration and grain pattern, but for it being a clever bowl for jumping out at you and telling you to turn me. Which you did and low and behold another of your excellent turnings. Keep it up my friend, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Les! At least it didn't fall on my foot! That would have really gotten my attention. I do love the bodark/osage orange. My friend and I are on the hunt for another tree for me to get. Getting real low on the stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...