Wednesday, March 21, 2018

9 1/4" Red Oak Serving Bowl

This gorgeous and amazing bowl turned from red oak actually started out to be pedestal bowl.  There was some severe cracking while drying so I kept turning it down until you see what you see:  a fine looking serving bowl!  Red oak has a distinct grain pattern that really stands out.  Red oak is a popular wood among wood workers and turners alike.  I have said many times that everybody needs a bowl, but not all folks need a huge bowl.  This medium sized bowl being 9 ¼” in diameter, 2 ½” high, and 2” deep fits into a size that just about everybody can use.  And it has a large capacity of 5 cups measured to the brim.  The wood was sealed with a couple of coats of food grade walnut oil and then finished with a walnut oil based wax that includes beeswax and carnauba.  With using a combination like this gives the bowl a nice hard long lasting natural finish.  21Mar18  BLRO73 For more info see:











2 comments:

  1. I myself have turned oak many, many times but I don't think I have used red oak. If it has the same property's has the oak I have turned it will be a good looking wood with an outstanding grain structure ( pattern ). Also the wood can leave a slight rusting to your turning tools if not cleaned down. Oak is a hard but long lasting wood. Dave you have done a wonderful job turning this bowl. You mention there was some cracking of the wood whilst drying. I myself found this out with my own turnings. Evidentially oak is renowned for it. A lovely turning Dave well done. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les! Yeah, oak leaves kinda a residue on your tools. I know for sure red oak, live oak and white oak do. I use a soft steel bristle wheel on a bench top grinder to clean them. I really didn't think this one would crack like it did, even after it was saturated with walnut oil before it went into the kiln, but it did. Oh, well. Still got a nice bowl out of it. Glad you liked it my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Flared Pecan Wood Bowl

Now here is something that you don’t see everyday!   A pecan wood bowl with flared wings like this will look good on any table.   Fill i...